A blog from Our Community, Our Schools supporter and local parent and teacher Kiri Tunks, explaining why teachers in the North-West are taking industrial action on Thursday and why teachers are demonstrating in central London today:
- Worsening ratios in nurseries; and no longer requiring schools to employ qualified teachers.
- Rushing through a new curriculum, without resources and against the advice of many teachers. Introducing expensive, unnecessary new tests for 5 and 11 year olds.
- Reducing young people's opportunities by trebling tuition fees and abolishing the Education Maintenance Allowance.
- Wasting the Olympic legacy by undermining sport in schools.
- Building free schools for secondary age children in places where they are not needed (instead of primary schools which are needed) and paving the way for private companies to make a profit from running our schools.
- Making it illegal for your Council to build new schools where they are needed.
- Causing chaos in teachers' pay and pensions and making teaching a less attractive prospect for young people